Monday, August 20, 2012

Chicken stock

Last night we had chicken roast for tea, so I decided to try to make my own chicken stock and hopefully I will have enough ice cube trays to hold it in small quantities.
leftover chicken carcass
chicken stock in the slow cooker

finished chicken stock
ice cube trays I used

Tonight we will be having leftover chicken from the roast as a chicken stir fry. Might even use some of my homemade chicken stock with it. Groceries also need to be done and I may even try to tackle the kitchen (decluttering and sorting out some space to make a stockpiling cupboard if possible) while I am in the kitchen after putting the groceries away.

3 comments:

  1. Well done Rachael! Homemade stock tastes so much better than any store bought stuff.

    I made chicken stock last week too from the carcass of a roast chicken. Instead of ice cubes I put a cup full in a resealable plastic sandwich bag. This way it sits nice and flat in the freezer and doesnt take up too much room. I do the same with my homemade dog food.

    Good luck with your decluttering and stockpiling :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do you make your own dog food? Does it replace the dry food or meat or both?

      Delete
  2. Hi Rachael,

    I make up Rhonda's dog food (meat) recipe on her blog. I think she uses a kilo of meat/mince whereas I only use 500gms. This saves us a lot of money, we only have one dog at the moment. I put one cup of dog food in a plastic bag as stated above and flatten out for better storage and take out as required. I pick up pet mince from the local butcher for $3 a kilo.

    Here is the link for Rhonda's dog food:
    http://down---to---earth.blogspot.com.au/2007/06/homemade-dog-food.html
    and dry food:
    http://down---to---earth.blogspot.com.au/2008/01/homemade-dog-biscuits-or-treats.html

    ReplyDelete